Cathode BindersSBR & PVDF Cathode binders for use in lithium-ion battery cells
SBR and PVDF Cathode Binders
Targray supplies cathode binders used in the slurry making process for Lithium-ion batteries. Binders such as SBR and PVDF, are used in Lithium-ion batteries to hold the active material particles together and in contact with the current collectors i.e. the Aluminium Foil (Al foil) or the Copper Foil (Cu foil).
A cathode electrode is typically made by mixing active material powder, binder powder, solvent and additives into a slurry (paste) and pumping this slurry to a coating machine. An anode electrode is made similarly by typically mixing Graphite as the active material. The coating machines spread the mixed slurry (paste) on both sides of the Al foil for the cathode and Cu foil for the anode. The coated foil is subsequently calendared to make the electrode thickness more uniform, followed by a slitting operation for proper electrode sizing. With these intricate manufacturing steps, the characteristics of the binder material used are very critical and the material must conform to strict criterion.
Material characteristics of relevance include:
- Ionic Conductivity and tensile strength
- Water Absorption and adhesion property
- Swelling in Electrolyte
- Melting point and Crystallinity
- Molecular weight distribution
- Purity and Dissolution Properties
Targray’s Hydrophilic Binder brings new cutting-edge technology to li-ion battery manufacturers. The Modified SBR: PSBR-100 can be used for practically all Li-ion cell chemistries – for both the Anode and Cathode electrodes. This technology offers distinct advantages for Lithium-ion battery manufacturers, including:
- Lower cost of manufacturing
- ‘Clean’ – pollution-free as compared to use of PVDF that uses NMP solvents
- Use of water based solvents – environmental friendliness, cleanliness and no pollution
- Reduction of binder usage amount in the cathode slurry – only about 1.5% for cathode and 4% for anode needed, thus effectively enhancing the overall cell capacity
- Enhancing the active material ratio in a cell as a result of reduction in SBR amount used – higher energy density is possible
- No requirement for strict humidity control in the manufacturing process
- Fast drying speed in the electrode fabrication resulting in higher production volumes
Targray supplies a complete catalog of Anode Materials for use by Li-ion battery manufacturers.
Targray offers a variety of cathode active materials for use in li-ion battery manufacturing and R&D.
Our Lithium-ion battery cathode materials portfolio includes aluminum cathode foils.
+1 (514) 695-8095
To discuss your needs with a materials expert.