Battery-grade Copper FoilAnode foil materials for Lithium-ion Battery Manufacturers
High-performance Cu Foil Rolls for LiB Manufacturing
Targray is a leading North American supplier of battery-grade copper foil – a material primarily used as the current collector of the anode in lithium-ion batteries. Starting at 4μm in thickness, our Cu foil products include a complete range of electrodeposited (ED) copper foils, rolled annealed (RA) foils as well as a line of roll-clad copper foils that combine the high conductivity of copper with other materials including aluminum, tin and silver to create unique performance benefits.
Our manufacturing partners combine strict quality management practices with novel handling technologies to ensure Targray customers are consistently receiving the best quality copper foils for their battery manufacturing projects. For more information about our copper product lines, consult the table below. For purchasing inquiries, please contact us.
Electrodeposited (ED) Copper Foils
Our high-performance ED copper foil products are produced via a unique manufacturing process that involves dissolving, electroplating and roll slitting. Ranging in thickness from 4μm to 12μm, our electrodeposited Cu foils are reputed for their performance characteristics including exceptional tensile strength and increased elongation.
Standard ED Copper Foils
- Standard battery-grade copper anode product line for various LiB applications.
- Cost-effective foils available in thicknesses ranging from 6μm-10μm.
- Highly reliable foil characterized by its uniform thickness and surface roughness.
- Includes a variant designed to increase elongation rate in cylindrical batteries.
High Elongation ED Copper Foils
- Battery-grade copper anode with superior tensile strength and elongation.
- Reduces the amount of wrinkling, folding and fracturing during cell manufacturing.
- Low deformation at high pressure, which allows for more active material coating to be added.
- Well-suited for the application of metal bases active materials (i.e. Si or Sn).
Ultra thin ED Copper Foils
- Exceptionally thin (5μm) battery-grade copper foil with high tensile strength.
- Excellent handling properties – allows for high-capacity batteries to be produced at a lower cost.
- Available in commercial quantities for large-scale lithium-ion battery manufacturing.
- Ideal for LiB applications requiring light weight and compact design. (consumer electronics, drones)
Roll-clad Copper Foils for Battery Manufacturing
A recent development in battery manufacturing is the emergence of roll-clad copper foils. Our roll-clad copper foil solutions combine highly conductive copper with other metals like aluminum, tin and silver to create unique performance benefits geared to the needs of EV battery makers. Compared to standard plating approaches, roll cladding tends to deliver more precise layers with tight tolerances and clean, smooth surfaces.
Aluminum clad Copper Foils (Al-Cu foil)
- Lighter weight due to the reduced specific weight of Aluminum (crucial for automotive electronics, EV batteries)
- Delivers the excellent electrical and heat conductivity of copper
- Wide thickness range; Variants of 35µm or lower possible
- Can be manufactured to the desired Aluminum-Copper ratio
- Suitable for special anodes requiring the benefits of both Al and Cu
Tin Clad Copper Foils
- Highly suitable for leaded batteries and special lithium-ion battery applications
- Various tin alloys available to ensure conductivity and durability requirements are met
- Pure tin alloy options available for compliance with RoHS and REACH regulations in Europe
- Dual-side and one side tin cladding available
Rolled annealed (RA) Cu Foils for Lithium-ion Cell Manufacturing
Targray supplies a complete line of high-performance rolled annealed (RA) copper foils designed specifically for lithium-ion battery applications. Products include standard, treated, and high-tensile RA copper foils. Our RA foil features are summarized below. For more information, please contact us.
- Excellent conductivity and copper purity in any thickness from 6μm-50+μm
- Symmetrically uniform and smooth surfaces due to the rolling process
- Surface protection applied to prevent oxidation (shelf life of 6 months guaranteed)
Related Products & Services
A broad range of cathode active materials developed to provide superior performance to lithium-ion battery manufacturers.
Battery material financing programs to optimize capital, accelerate cash flow and minimize risk for solar suppliers and buyers.
+1 (514) 695-8095
To speak with a Targray representative.